Sunday, December 03, 2017

First Sunday of Advent



For several years, I joined other bloggers in a link up entitled "A Pause in Advent." The blogger who hosted the link is no longer active. However, I love this season of reflection, of waiting and preparation, and hope to post a little Advent thought each week. 

I looked over some of my earlier posts about Advent and found these words,

I try to read something during my day that I can pull out of my brain at quiet moments. Recently, it was this, from the Celtic Book of Prayer, "Do you have only one minute? Hem it with quietness. Do not spend it in thinking how little time you have. God can give you much in one minute." 

Hemming a day with quietness takes some intention, along with exertion of my will. Can I ensure that I'll take those moments of quiet in place of doing something that will tick one more item off my list? We'll see. 


The five-year-old's parents went to a party today, so we got to spend the day with Miss S. Are you familiar with Jacquie Lawson and her beautiful cards? Each year, the company creates an interactive Advent calendar that is filled with activities, beautiful scenes, and snippets of information about Christmas. I've enjoyed them for several years, and send them to the grandchildren. Miss S was so intent on "crunching candies" and creating snowflakes today that the chocolate chip muffin she was given as a snack went mostly unnoticed. 

Saturday involved cleaning the pantry. Everything is neat and organized again, shelves wiped out, and a few out-of-date items discarded. It's all so neat looking that I had to take a photo. Saturday also involved hanging curtain rods and curtains. Tim did most of the work and complications meant that it took most of the day. What a husband!


We took the time on Saturday for a leisurely breakfast together. I found a recipe in the newspaper for French Baked Eggs with White Truffle Cream. I made a few adaptations and oh, was it delicious! A chocolate bread and mandarin orange completed the meal. I'll try and put the recipe on my food blog later this week.

Do you cook special breakfasts often? Ours are usually yogurt, frozen blueberries and granola (for him) and nuts (for me).

November was dull and rainy - 27 days out of the 30! Things are looking up for December, though - the sun shone today - hooray, and this evening the moon was full and bright.  

Linking with Mosaic Monday, hosted by Maggie from Normandy Life.

24 comments:

  1. Love the look of concentration of Miss S's face and how she is so proficient at using the computer even though only five years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv your inspiring though you have lifted me today. Happy Mosaic Monday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I send the advent calendar to our grands too and they love it. I think this year they will love the skiing as they go skiing. Isn't it amazing how something seemingly simple like your husband's Saturday project can run into complications? Your egg dish looks scrumptious. Will have to look for the recipe. We love special breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely day, lovely granddaughter, lovely food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Jacquie Lawson. I love the look on Miss S's face as she works on her project. Happy Advent to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful and sweet post, Lorrie. Oh yes, we are familiar with the advent calender. A blogging friend sent it to me a couple of years ago and since then I have purchased one for my son and I to enjoy {{smiles}} This year I couldn't help but share it with several members in my family.

    Happy week to you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love the JL calendar, and this year's reminds me of Christmas spent in Austria.
    Daughter has just told me that the stag's head on a building on the right lights up...have you found that yet! It is full of little surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Christmas calendar has said so far:

    1. Even in the darkest moment, remember the light.
    2. Today I'll smile.
    3. I reach for hope. In sleet and rush the light twinkles.
    4. Let Christmas come, LOVE, be present and take a deep breath.

    Looking forward to tomorrow's message. Happy Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Lawson cards are always so beautiful. I get one or two from my brother in law every holiday! I know you enjoyed the day with this precious little one. And yes we make a brunch every once in awhile...it usually includes either pancakes or French toast. Enjoy your week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:18 PM

    I love - hem it with quietness! Such a lovely description! And your breakfast looks very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very deliberate about my quiet time in the morning, to reflect. Still, I can find myself distracted and off on a tangent before I know it - it does take will! My hubby is an expert at taking miscellaneous ingredients and creating a special breakfast, usually a couple of times a week. I am spoiled! In your next post, can you tell us more about the items you are hanging on your 'date' board?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our girl has already asked for baked french toast for Christmas morning. SO of course.! WE dont do much with breakfast during the year because Im not to much of a breakfast eater. !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a productive weekend! I like the idea of doing one-minute reflections during the Advent season.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lorrie, you were busy. Yes, we like to make special breakfasts on occasion and especially if we have house guests. French toast is my speciality!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saturday was a busy day for you all, I too enjoy looking at the Jacquie Lawson Advent calendars but didn't remember to get one this year, your Granddaughter and Tim both look enthralled. Your Saturday breakfast did look appetising such a great way to start a busy day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Lorrie - In this post I was attracted especially to the concentration of lovely Miss S at the computer and the breakfast. The moon tonight waned a little from the 15th night, but still big and bright. Wish you sunny December.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm borrowing your quote...'hem it with quietness'. Love that! Advent blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful quote. Your pantry looks so nice and organized. We love breakfast here but usually save the fancier breakfasts for the weekends even though we are now retired.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Little Miss S looks very intent looking at the Jacquie Lawson Advent Calendar.
    I love the quote "hem it with quietness" Minutes can be as precious as hours or days. Sometimes I spend a few minutes watching the birds outside my window and feel as refreshed as if I had a mini vacation.
    We often have yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast but I also love eggs. Bacon eggs and toast are usually a weekend treat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed the sunshine today. It is glorious. I do love J.Lawson and get her Advent Calendar just for me. The candy crunch is the best. For me it is a honey yogurt with fresh raspberries and granola. Oh yummm! The eggs sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your breakfast looks so good! Advent is a tricky time of year to maintain the focus.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the little one working with her Grandfather. Your breakfast looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Jacquie Lawson! So sweet to enjoy the Advent calendar together with your granddaughter. We have fruit and cereal or toast/peanut butter for breakfast at least five days of the week. I'll do something sort of special on one weekend day -- and we may or may not go out for breakfast on one weekday. (Not going out at all for a while now as I'm working on readjusting to home after our two week total break from reality.)



    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...